|1 pound lean sweet Italian sausage
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup minced onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1 cup water
3 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley plus 2 tablespoon for garnish
12 lasagna noodles (no bake variety)
8 ounces lowfat ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
|1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Drain.
2. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water.
3. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 4 tablespoons parsley.
4. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
7. To assemble, spread thin layer meat sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
8. Arrange 4 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce.
9. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture.
10. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese .
11. Spoon 1/3 meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
12. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
13. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
14. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
15. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes until internal cooking temperature reaches 165 degrees.
16. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
17. Garnish with remaining parsley