|3 1/2 to 4 Pounds Beef shoulder, chuck, rump or round (boneless)
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon peppercorn
1/4 Cup sugar
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 Cups vinegar
1/2 Cup diced onion
2 Cups water
2 Bay leaves
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup cornstarch, mixed with 1/2 cup water
1 Cup cream or sour cream
|1. Trim all visible fat from beef.
2. Season beef with salt.
3. Combine vinegar, water, onions, bay leaves, sugar and bay leaves.
4. Heat marinate but do not boil.
5. Place meat in a deep crock or glass bowl.
6. Pour the marinade over beef; more than half should be covered.
7. Cover with a lid and refrigerate for 2 days, turning occasionally.
8. Heat oil in a heavy pan.
9. Brown beef on both sides.
10. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165 degree F.
11. Sprinkle meat with brown sugar.
12. Add marinate and heat.
13. Remove meat.
14. Slowly add cornstarch and water.
15. Heat until thick.
16. Add cream or sour cream and serve immediately.Serves 8.